Moving your pets is a totally stressful task however there are several things to consider that can reduce your stress significantly and help your pets to adapt in to their new environments soon. There are several things to consider when you are moving.
Important tips irrespective of how long distance you are moving through
- Keep your own stress in control. Pets can feel your mood that can affect them so you should cut your own stress.
- Keep an eye on your pets. Given attention to them as much as possible particularly when the moving date is very close.
- Get your pets registered for their IDs. In new environments, it is possible that your pet may get lost so it is a good way to find them if it happens.
- Choose someone in your family who takes care of the pet during the move
- Give your pet taste of home by surrounding it with a known things for example toys and bowls
- Get a suitable animal carrier for your dog or cat. However it may not be needed in some case but having a carrier for your pet certainly makes their move easier
- Do not feed your pets substantially during the move in fact give them snacks and a lot of water
- Add breaks and exercise time for pets during the move and plan for their ordinary body functions by taking a small box for cats and plastic bags for dogs.
- Take pets for local walks immediately so that they can be familiar with the surroundings
- Keep cats in one room where there are not lot of boxes and mess. Do not assume that your cat is unhappy actually they will not interact until they are familiar with the place. Windowsills are good as they let your cat to look outside but not get outside. Cover your cat paws with butter that forces them to clean it which comforts them a lot.
- Fish may bruise during travelling. Add liquid healing agents into water.
- Take your pet to a veterinarian for a quick checkup if you feel the need
- Sedation can be useful to discuss with your vet
- Check with a vet at the destination.
Driving with your pet
Unless your pet is already adept with car travel, begin the short trips to make it familiar with car motion and teach it travel ways. Carrier is a very useful item for your pet. Get your pet nails clipped before the move to prevent scratches on your car. Give your pet a few treats during the move. Stop regularly during the move to give it drinks and a short run from the crowd.
So if you are ready for the move with your pets, above tips will be very useful to make the transport a lot easier for you and your pet. Additionally packers and movers will also help you a lot.